South Carolina’s Spurrier can throw out some real ‘aw-shucks them is fightin words insults.’ But in my opinion, here are his all-time top 5.
1. After a fire burned 20 or so books at an Auburn football dorm he commented, “The real tragedy was that 15 of those books hadn’t been colored yet.”
2. Tennessee made three trips in four years to the Citrus Bowl, Peyton Manning was the quarterback two years in a row for the trips, and returned for his senior year. This produced two great Spurrier quotes. “You can’t spell Citrus without UT.”
3. and…“I know why Peyton came back for his senior year: He wanted to be a three-time Citrus Bowl MVP.”
And now for the Kentucky bulletin board….
4. “It wasn’t like they were some big, powerful team. They’ve actually lost five in a row to SEC east teams. Even Kentucky and Vandy beat ‘em last year.”
5. “It’s just a shame we only get Kentucky on the schedule once-a-year.” OK, I made that one up, but he probably said it in his head.
Now for a team that admittedly can’t tackle, here’s a scary video to watch from last week’s game, where South Carolina blasted Missouri 31-10.